Chateau Doksy (not open to the public)

The chateau is situated on the northern side below Náměstí Republiky square in Valdštejnská Street. It was built in the Renaissance style at the end of the 16th century during the rule of John of Vartenberk. It was rebuilt in the Baroque style by the Valdštejn (Wallenstein) family in the first half of the 18th century and it got its present appearance following a radical reconstruction at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.

The chateau is built in the shape of a letter U, with a courtyard in the middle. Its individual wings differ from each other. The middle one is the main wing, with two floors, distinctive buttresses in the corners and an Early Baroque entrance portal from 1660, which is part of a protuberating balcony on columns in the middle of the frontage. A three-storey prismatic tower with onion-shaped cupola from 1700 stands in the eastern corner between the wings.

 The most valuable is the western wing, with Renaissance volute gables in both frontages. In the centre of the courtyard there is a stone fountain with a sculpture of an angel from the end of the 18th century. The chateau was inhabited by the Valdštejn family until 1945.

 Currently, the chateau is not open to the public, but it is possible to visit its grounds.


Doksy, 472 01

GSM:+420 739 310 010

You could be interested in